Welcome to Wolkite University community services web page!
Wolkite office of community services dedicated to organize, apply and supervise a comprehensive system of community services. Our mission is finding core problems of community to solve it. The office specifically is accountable for the provision of knowledge based training and consultancy services that develop university-community joint venture. It also organizes and coordinates outreach program.
Mainly there are two kinds of community services
- In campus community services: service given to students, academic staffs and the administration staffs.
- External community services: service given to and the external campus communities are different kinds of societies, stake holders, institutions, governmental and nongovernmental organizations.
On this webpage, I hope you will get information about the services in which we already engaged in. Therefore, you are most welcome through the contact address below if you have questions, concerns or other information regarding community services.
Thank you for visiting our Web Page!
Contact Person:Thomas Gebre
Director, Community Service
Cell No: +251 913328589
Vision and Mission
To be one of the most research intensive institution in 2020, with a reputation on excellence,
leadership, impact and enriching the regional, national, and international communities through
the fruits of its research, the skills of its alumni, and the publishing of academic, educational and
developmental guiding materials.
The office will advance, preserve and promote knowledge, critical thinking and intellectual
independence to enhance the understanding, development and well-being of individuals and
society. It will achieve this by building on foundations of broad research and community
engagement with strong national and international links.
Below listed are completed and ongoing community service activities of the year 2015/16
- Outreach service was delivered to students of Gurage and Silti zones and Yem special woreda on STEM (Science, Technology, English and Mathematics) from July9, 2016-Augest8, and 2015 for one month.
- Wolkite University, college of natural science offered Training and consultancy on Improvisation of teaching and learning materials using locally available materials in biology, chemistry and physics through active learning methods for 180 basic science teachers of Guraghe zone from 15 model primary schools. It was intended from February 16-24/2016.
- College of social science offered Training on English language teaching pedagogy for 75 elementary English language teachers from 15 model primary schools of Gurage zone. It was intended from February 26- March 4 /2016.
- Training on improving long utilization of long acting family planning service among reproductive age women was given to health officers selected from Gurage zone was delivered by Wolkite University, college of health for six months.
- The University of Maryland and Wolkite University are endeavoring to develop women in Agriculture program round Agena town. Women in Agriculture (WIA) Ethiopia program are to improve family food security by building university capacity to deliver training in agriculture and nutrition to limited-resource women in communities round Agena town.
- Wolkite University collaborated with Abeshege worda prepared more than 1,000000 nurseries of different forests to cover erosion area of Gurage Zone and distributed for six woredas.
- Basic training on football, athletics and baseball is delivering for Young projects of Cheha woreda, Agena woreda and Wolkite town projects.
- Surname: Lemma
- First Name: Thomas Gebre
- Gender: Male
- Nationality: Ethiopian
- Date of Birth: 01 may- 1968 E.C
- Wolkite University, P.O.Box o7, Wolkitie- SNNP,Ethiopia.
- Phone +251-11- 322 -0032
- Fax +251- 11 -322 -0041
- Phone +251-91-332-8589
- E-mail: thomas2geb@yahoo.
- GRADUATE ASSISTANCE II: FROM 01/05/1994-30/10/1995 E.C
- ASSISTANCE LECTURER: FROM 01/11/1995-30/04/2003 E.C
- LECTURER: 01/05/2003 E.C – to date
- MASTER OF SCIENCE ON- Agricultural machinery engineering
Sep 27, 2002 E.C: Adama University
- BACHELOR DEGREE ON - Automotive technology
JUL 1, 1992 E.C: Adama University
- DIPLOMA ON- Diploma in philosophy
Jun 22, 1997 E.C stubbier philosophical st. francis friary
- NATIONAL QUALIFICATION CERTIFICATE ON- Automotive power train and chassis service
Dec 2004 E, C Ministry of education
- A CERTIFICATE ON – Air condition and refrigeration
Sep 1997 E.C: Korea international cooperation agency, Republic of Korea
- A CERTIFICATE ON – computer control engine
jul 2000 E.C: NCTTE
- A CERTIFICATE ON – lead mechanics
Apr 1999: Nyala motors s.c
- A CERTIFICATE ON - training Dozer, Loder, Excavator construction machinery
sep 2001 E.C: Yaval heavy construction machinery operators training center
- A CERTIFICATE ON – training methodology for TVET teachers
Aug 2002 E.C: Tigray technical and vocational education and training bureau
- A CERTIFICATE ON – pneumatics and Hydraulics
Feb 2003 E.C: Tigray technical and vocational education and training bureau
- A CERTIFICATE ON – Microsoft Front page web development
Feb 1998 E.C: Maichew technical college
- A CERTIFICATE ON – Automatic transmission
may 1999 E.C: Maichew technical college
- A CERTIFICATE ON – Basic Managerial skills
mar 2008 E.C: Ethiopian Management institute
- A CERTIFICATE ON – keeping the peace and security of teaching learning environment in Wolkite University
mar 2008 E.C: wolkite University
- Oct 1, 2007 E.C - to date Wolkite University (WkU)
Lecturer in the Department of mechanical engineering: Lecturing courses- senior students
- Nov , 2008 E.C - to date Wolkite University (WkU)
Serve as community service director
- Dec , 2005 E.C – Sep 2007 E.C Adigrat University (ADU)
Lecturer in the Department of mechanical engineering: Lecturing courses- senior students
- Feb , 2003 E.C – Dec 2005 E.C Maichew technical college (MTC)
Lecturer in the Department of Automotive technology: Lecturing courses- senior students
- Jul , 1993 E.C – feb, 2003 E.C Maichew technical college (MTC)
Assistance lecturer in the Department of Automotive technology: Lecturing courses- senior students
- Feb , 1998 E.C – Dec 2000 E.C Maichew technical college (MTC)
Head Department of Automotive technology
- Wolkite university bid approval committee
- Wolkite university mechanical department curriculum review committee
- Wolkite university mechanical department Shop organized committee
- Wolkite university mechanical department group leader for improvement of team members to achieve the department goals.
- Adigrat university electro-mechanical inspection committee
- Adigrat university furniture inspection committee
- Adigrat university mechanical department curriculum review committee
- Maichew technical college bid purchasing committee
- Research work was carried out under the title of “design and fabrication modified tef harvester machine” in the year 2015-2016 funded by Wolkite university.
- Research work was carried out under the title of “Fabrication and mechanical property evaluation of un-directional banana fiber epoxy composites” in the year 2015-2016 ongoing research funded by Wolkite University.
- Adviser for Wolkite university faith year mechanical students.
- Research work was carried out under the title of “Fabrication and study of mechanical properties for false banana and bamboo fibers reinforced bio-composites” in the year 2014-.2015.
- Research work was carried out under the title of “Mechanical property evaluation of bi-directional Ethiopian banana fiber epoxy composites” in the year 2015-.2016.
- Thomas Gebre, Jegan Raj, Cheru Zeleka,Design of Mechanical Tef Harvesting Machine; June 2016; 05:514-522.
- Thomas Gebre, Jegan Raj, Fabrication and Study of Mechanical Properties for False Banana and Bamboo Fibers Reinforced Bio-Composites; June 2016; 05:338-351.
- Jegan Raj, Thomas Gebre, Idiris Mehamud, Cheru Zeleka, Mechanical Property Evaluation of Bi-directional Ethiopian Banana Fiber Epoxy Composites; June 2016; 05:514-522.
- Jegan Raj, Thomas Gebre, Idiris Mehamud, Cheru Zeleka, Fabrication and mechanical property evaluation of uni-directional banana fiber epoxy composites” August: 2016.
COMMUNITY SERVICE EXPERIENCE
- I devote my time to serve community as leader and individual. I deliver Automotive maintenance courses to the heavy truck drivers of Wolkite University without any professional fee.
- I am active participant to keep peace and security of teaching learning environment in Wolkite University.
SKILLS & COMPETENCE
- Language Skills: Guragna (mother tongue),
- English (to a high level as it is the medium of instruction in my working place, and I enroll in High school, College and University which follow English as a Medium of Instruction)
- Amharic (a good speaker and listener)
- Tigrigna (a good speaker and listener)
- Reading, Social work, Walking, and Socializing
Ongoing Community Development Projects
Project 1: Land Restoration Project
Project 2: Sustainable and Affordable Energy Project
Project 3: Integrated Pest Management Project
Project 4: A Baseline Survey Project for Sustainable Management of Gibe Sheleko National Park. Project 5: Livelihood Diversification for Rural Women Project.
Project 6: High School Teachers Capacity Building Project
Project 7: Reproductive Health Project
Project 8: 'Enset' Landraces Conservation Project
Whos is online
We have 42 guests and no members online