ቀን/Date/ 15/2/09 E.C
To: College of Engineering and Technology
Subject: To report the mission, vision and profile of the department
As described in the title above, this notice that the mission, vision and the profile of Hydraulic and water resources engineering department.
1.1 Background and Demand of the Program
The hydraulic engineering undergraduate program was started in Hydraulic Engineering department, a predecessor of the current hydraulic and water resources department in Arba Minch University. The program was one of the three founding departments of Arba Minch Water Technology Institute [AWTI] which was established in 1986 G.C.
The opening of the program in the other universities of the country is in tandem with the country’s efforts towards developing its water resources in a sustainable way. Though Ethiopia is endowed with a large amount of water resources, critical shortage of capacity has greatly hampered the development of the water sector. Moreover, frequent floods and droughts have become serious water related problems in the country. So the development of water resources must be a central element of the country’s strategy to improve the quality of life of the people.
1.2 Vision and Mission of the program
Hydraulic and Water Resource Engineering program aspires to be a centre of excellence in the field of water resources in Africa and competitive in the world by 2020.
Hydraulic and Water Resource Engineering program has a mission of offering relevant and quality education and training; conducting demand driven research and rendering accessible community services.
The Hydraulic and Water Resource Engineering program shall have the following goals;
- Ensure the quality of education and training in water technology
- Advance research and consultancy works in water Technology
- Improve services to the community
- Develop a conducive environment for learning and teaching
The department needs to be equipped with Hydraulic Laboratory which serves to demonstrate most of the department courses, research and consultancy services. In addition, the civil, electrical and mechanical engineering course of the department is also supported by Soil Mechanics Laboratory, Construction Material Laboratory, Surveying Laboratory, Electrical and Mechanical Workshops. The program needs to be equipped with the following resource facilities, apart from classrooms, staff offices, and administrative units:
Human resources composed of PhD, MSc, BSc holders and technical assistant in the following and relevant disciplines
- Hydraulic and hydropower engineering
- Irrigation and drainage engineering,
- Environmental engineering,
- Water supply engineering,
- Water resources management,
- Specializations in civil engineering, general science and other relevant studies
- Hydraulic laboratories
- Geotechnical Engineering laboratories
- Hydrology, hydrometry and meteorological demonstration fields and/or laboratories
- Building construction laboratories
- Water quality laboratories
- GIS and Remote Sensing laboratories
- Surveying laboratories
- Drawing laboratories
- Computers lab with internet and other facilities
- Metal and woodwork Workshops
- And related facilities
1.3 Objectives of the Program and Competency Profile
This program is aimed at training manpower required for the realization of the country’s vast hydropower and water resources potential. Well-qualified Hydraulic Engineers will be produced through this program who can actively be engaged in the planning; design; development and management of water resources projects; emphasis being given to hydropower projects. Specifically, the trainees will be equipped with the knowledge that enables them to execute the following tasks:
- Undertake project identification; pre-feasibility and feasibility studies of water resources projects; with emphasis on hydropower projects;
- Plan water resources and hydropower projects; and design hydraulic structures required for hydropower systems, water supply systems, Irrigation systems and structures which are related with environmental protection works;
- Prepare complete contract documents for water resources projects like hydropower projects, water supply projects, Irrigation projects, and projects which are related with environmental protection work ;
- Plan, design and manage and supervise the construction of hydraulic and hydropower structures and related civil engineering works;
- Plan, design, manage, monitor and evaluate the operation and maintenance of hydraulic and hydropower systems;
- Remodeling and rehabilitation of existing water supply, hydraulic and hydropower systems.
The B.Sc. degree in Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering as the first academic degree may also be the starting point for further professional development in engineering practice and Research and development in the fields of hydropower Engineering, Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering, Water Supply and Environmental Engineering, Water Resources Management, Hydro-Informatics, Hydraulic Engineering, River Basin Development, Integrated River Basin Management, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, Offshore Structures, Irrigation and Drainage Engineering ,Soil and Water Conservation Engineering, River Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Highway Engineering Ground water engineering and will be able to;
ü Plan water resource projects at strategic, program and project levels ,
ü Analyse technical, economic and environmental feasible solutions
ü Design hydraulic structures and hydropower components
ü Monitor and evaluate the construction of hydraulic structures and components
ü Operation and maintenance of hydropower systems
Upon successful completion of the B.Sc. degree, graduates of Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering program will have acquired all the necessary knowledge, skills and attitude. The graduates are enabled to organize their knowledge, skills and attitudes to:
- Plan, design, and construct systems and Structures for optimum utilization of available water resources for
- Hydropower generation,
- Industrial and domestic Water Supply Systems, Irrigation Systems etc.
- Natural water flow control such as Flood control, Land drainage etc.
- Operate and control systems and Structures for optimum utilization of available water resources
- Participate and to professionally perform engineering services in the different project phases along the project cycle, including the following:
- Identify problems of existing hydraulic infrastructure and elaboration of technically and economically feasible concepts for their solution
- Conduct on-site measurements, pre feasible, feasibility study and detail designs specifications of hydraulic projects
- Prepare of bills of quantities and construction contract documents
- Consult services in the tender process and contract administration
- Supervise construction, control and approval of contractors 'documents and settlement of claims and disputes
- Operate, manage long-term quality control of water infrastructure
- Train operational technical staff
- With best regards, Bedassa Dessalegn
Whos is online
We have 60 guests and no members online